Current Hours: Daily 8am – 5pm
Winter Hours: Daily 9am – 5 pm
Tel:  (709) 454-4010

Grenfell House Museum

The Grenfell House, Newfoundland home to Dr. Grenfell and his wife and three children – was built between 1909 and 1910. Based on a New England design, the architects were Ash & Sons of Carbonear, Newfoundland.

The house has seen many changes throughout it’s history with rooms and chimneys being added and taken away. Originally, standing alone on the hill, the house became known as the ‘castle’ with flower beds and vegetable gardens. Now taken over by wildflowers and shaded by trees, it offers a quiet welcome to visitors from all over world.

After Grenfell’s retirement to Vermont, the house became a residence for mission workers. In 1978, the Grenfell House and surrounding land were turned over to the newly formed Grenfell Historical Society.

Up to 1981, extensive restoration was made to the building before opened to the public as a small museum. Further restoration was made to the interior of the Grenfell House Museum between 1995-96.

In 1986, the Grenfell House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.